frequently asked questions

frequently asked questions2018-08-12T18:41:29+00:00

Project Description

Our counselling service is changing in 2018. As soon as we can give you more detail
on what we’ll be able to provide we will post it here. In the meantime you can read about the changes here.
If you need help now then please look here.
How can counselling help?

Sometimes we all have problems that are worrying. Think of a confusing jigsaw when all the pieces are difficult to match together. Talking about a problem in counselling is like sorting out all the pieces so we can begin to build a picture that makes more sense to us.

Counselling is different for everyone and by building a bigger picture it might help you to solve a specific problem or make difficult decisions, to learn how to cope better with difficulties, understand yourself and your feelings better or improve relationships.

Sometimes it’s difficult or embarrassing to talk to parents, friends or teachers about things that are making us anxious.  A counsellor is someone who you can talk to in a different way, someone who will listen to you very carefully, who will not judge you or tell you what to do.

Counselling is about helping you to work things out for yourself, making decisions and choices and helping you to look at things differently. It can help you to feel better about yourself.

“It has been so helpful to be able to talk through my anxieties with a caring and sensitive person”
How can I get counselling in school?

We offer short-term counselling in all secondary schools in South Cambridgeshire and East Cambridgeshire. However, you cannot ask us to be seen in school, instead you need to get in contact with somebody at school (for example, Student Support, Head of House, Head of Year) and they will discuss counselling with you and refer you to the service in your school.

If you are a school interested in offering this service with Centre 33 then please get in touch

What else can I do to help myself?

You can find a lot of information on this website specific to the area Cambridgeshire & Peterborough:

Young Minds have a good website with various ideas about how you can look after yourself:

There is also an online counselling service you might want to have a look at:

Please see our LEARN ABOUT pages for more information on things that might be on your mind.

Who can I talk to if my situation gets worse?

If you are scared or worried about how you are feeling  you could either see your Doctor or you could ring the following organisations:

ChildLine (Under 16)
0800 11 11 (free of charge)
Samaritans (16+)
116 123 (free of charge)

If you feel that your situation is getting worse, please contact your Doctor.

If you are scared about harming yourself or feel you are at serious risk to yourself you can call the emergency services on 111 – and choose option 2. A Mental Health Professional will assess your situation and will provide you with information on what to do or where to go.

Please also see our Need help now? page here.

“In talking it through you might not have fixed it, but you might be sort of further in your thinking about it… it might be easier to deal with, cause it does kind of shift things inside you”
Will other people know what I have talked about/ confidentiality?

The Centre 33 counselling service is confidential. It’s your time and your space to be with someone who is there for you and nobody else. If you want to talk to anyone else about what you have discussed in the counselling session, then that is up to you.

In exceptional circumstances, if we believe that you or another person is at serious risk of immediate harm, we would need to talk to someone else to help keep you safe, but we will always try to talk with you about this first.

Our counsellors present their work to a Centre 33 counselling supervisor regularly. This person checks that the counsellor is working well with you.

“You are not talking to someone you know, like you know they are not going to judge you, they keep it confidential … you can say anything and you know it is not going elsewhere”
how we can help