Suicidal thoughts are when you think about the act of taking your own life intentionally. Suicidal thoughts range from thinking about ending your life and looking for a way to escape overwhelming feelings to thinking about how you could die and making clear plans to do so.
Many people think about commiting suicide, you are not alone, however, you may feel confused or frightened by the thoughts. The feelings tend to change from moment to moment, day to day and sometimes you may feel you don’t want to die, you just can’t carry on living life as you do. Sometimes you may feel you can’t cope and sometimes you may feel you don’t understand why you are feeling as you do.
Everyone’s experience of suicidal thoughts is different; however, here are some of the more common thoughts and feelings:
- Like there is no point in being alive
- Overwhelmed by negative thoughts
- An unbearable pain that seems endless
- Unwanted, not needed, useless
You may also;
- Find it difficult to sleep or sleep too much
- Take less care of yourself and how you look
- Feel more or less hungry and lose or gain weight
- Experience the urge to self-harm
- Find your self-esteem lessens
- Want to avoid others
Suicidal thoughts last for different amounts of time for everyone and often people feel they won’t be happy again, which can be very overwhelming. Suicidal thoughts can pass and many people go on to live full and happy lives.
Although it may feel difficult to tell someone how you are feeling, the earlier you do the quicker you can get support to help you manage the thoughts and understand what is going on for you. You don’t have to go through this challenging time alone and talking to someone you trust has helped many people overcome their suicidal thoughts. You can talk to us.
This website has a lot of useful information
Need help now?
If you don’t feel you can keep yourself safe right now, the following help is available to you:
- Go to any A & E department
- Call 999
- Call NHS 111 and select option 2
- Go to your GP
- Call the Samaritans 116 123