Housing, Job and Money Advice

Are you thinking about leaving home, or have you already left home?

Are you sofa surfing with a friend?

Try and get information and advice as soon as possible as sometimes finding housing can be a lengthy process and you might run out of places to sleep.

Finding housing can be frustrating and confusing, but you can get support from Centre33 to understand your options.

If you are under 26 years old, arrange an appointment with the Housing and Living Skills worker at Centre33 on:

01223 316488

or just pop in to see us in 33 Clarendon Street, Cambridge, CB1 1JX

Mon-Wed 10am-5pm
Fri and Sat 10am-1:30pm
Thursdays closed

If you are under 18 and homeless or at risk of homelessness

If you are 16 or 17 years old and become homeless you are probably entitled to help from social services.

Centre 33, or the Youth Support Service – formerly called Connexions, can to refer you to social services, who would carry out an assessment and support you according to your housing needs.  We would always discuss a referral to social services with you first and continue to offer support through the whole process and help you to communicate your perspective.

Social Services may be able to help you to stay at home or to arrange for you to live elsewhere.

If your home doesn’t feel like a safe place for you to go it’s particularly important that you ask for support.

Social services may also be able to give you financial assistance and help you with training or education.

If you are between 18 and 25 and homeless or at risk of homelessness

Centre33 can talk with you about your options.  We are able to refer you to supported living projects (such as the YMCA), if this is what you want to do.

If you are not working and if you are receiving Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) you will be able to claim Housing Benefit, which covers most of the costs, but you will have to pay a contribution towards the rent from your JSA too.

If you are working you might be able to get some help towards your rent depending on your income.

If you don’t know where to sleep the coming night you might be able to stay at Jimmy’s night shelter. You need to register before 11am on the day you don’t know where to stay for the night. Depending on their bed space availability they might be able to offer you a space that night or you might have to wait for a few nights.
For further information see: http://jimmyscambridge.net/

If you are sleeping rough the Street Outreach Team can support you and might be able to refer you into supported housing. Please contact us for further information

In some cases the City Council is able to support you with housing, but only if you are in priority need and if you have a local connection. You have a local connection if you lived in Cambridge for 6 out of 12 months or 3 out of the last 5 years.

For further information see: http://www.cambridge.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/housing/

If you are currently without job and looking for work you are able to claim Job Seekers Allowance.

For further info see: https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/overview

On https://www.gov.uk/benefits-adviser you can find out what benefits you might be entitled to.

If you are between 18 and 25 and you are thinking of renting privately

There are a lot of things to plan, if you are planning to move out from home and rent a place privately.

Centre33 is able to help you prepare for this step.

In general we would recommend you to check that you can afford moving out. The Citizen Advice Bureau is providing a Budget Sheet which helps you to look at incoming money and outgoing costs to estimate how much rent you could afford on a monthly basis. Youthoria is helping you to have an overview of potential living costs.

Find the budget sheet on: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_money/money_management_index_ew/help_with_debt_index_ew/budgeting_index_ew.htm

Information in Youthoria:

Shelter as well as the government is providing more information on additional benefits like housing benefits, if you are on a low income and your housing options in general.

Find more info (Shelter):

Find more info (Government):

Support with money and job hunting

Would you like some help to make your money go further?

If you are not in paid work, we can offer up to 20 hours 1:1 coaching to help you.


Make sense of your money

Get on-line

Start to look for work.


For more details please contact

Carole on 01223 314763 or carole@centre33.org.uk


Support with food:

Centre33 is working together with the foodbank and we are able to provide you with a foodbank voucher if you are currently in a financial crisis and have not enough money to buy food. This voucher will offer you access to food for about one week and it is distributed three times a week by the foodbank.

See info foodbank: http://www.cambridgecityfoodbank.org.uk/

Wintercomfort is providing Breakfast & Refreshments, Shower facilities, Access to Laundry & Clothing store, Support with Housing & Access to Health Care Services.

See info at: http://www.wintercomfort.org.uk/?category_name=about